The Aide – Special Events is responsible for assisting with special events such as outdoor movies, Westminster’s 4th of July celebration, Westy Craft Brew Fest, the Halloween Harvest Festivaland others. This position will assist with event preparation, set up and take down, and overseeing events, as well as vendor relations and coordination. Recreation staff have the primary responsibility of ensuring the safety of program participants.The position will work approximately 20 hours a week in May and September and up to 40 hours a week between May and October. Events primarily take place on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings.
The full salary range for this position is stated above. The starting range of pay is dependent on qualifications and experience of each individual candidate.
ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES AND CULTURAL VALUES/GENERAL COMPETENCIES
The mission of every employee at the City of Westminster is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through SPIRIT. Each employee is measured by the ability to adhere to the City’s core values of Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation, and Teamwork.
This position supports the goals of the Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department, which enhances the quality of life for all Westminster citizens by providing diverse leisure, recreational, and informational services and resources; and acquiring, developing, and maintaining first-class parks, facilities, open space, and trails. This position works toward the accomplishment of the department’s mission: Together we create exceptional opportunities for a vibrant community with a commitment to nature, wellness and literacy.
Job Specific – Every employee in this position must be able to:
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Communicate effectively with the public
- Establish effective working relationships with other employees and supervisors
- Perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with limited supervision
- Handle emergency situations such as fire alarms, injuries and accidents
- Drive a golf cart and/or City vehicle
Set up and take down facilities for events, including tables and chairs, risers, podiums, portable stages, canopies, PA’s and other sound systems, and any other equipment necessary to support special events
All employees are expected to provide excellent customer service, communicate in an effective manner both verbally and in writing, display professionalism and integrity, work efficiently, effectively and accurately, work independently and as part of a team, take initiative, solve problems, display good judgment, take ownership for delivering a high quality product or service, have regular and punctual attendance, and effectively handle emergency situations.
JOB SPECIFIC FUNCTIONS
Essential Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks * Assist with special events including outdoor movies, Westminster’s 4th of July celebration, Westy Craft Brew Fest, the Halloween Harvest Festivaland others
- Set up the mobile stage prior, put out trash boxes, set up canopies, haul equipment such as tables, chairs, coolers, etc., help with concessions, and other duties as assigned
- Monitor events to ensure they are running smoothly and respond to questions and complaints
- Assist the event coordinator in the office with assembling vendor packets, preparing mailings, stuffing bags, data entry, processing applications, and more
- Drive golf carts and/or City vehicles
- Maintains regular and punctual attendance
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Incumbent is accountable for all duties of this job, and other projects and responsibilities may be added at the City’s discretion.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS/PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
Education, Experience, Skills, Formal Training, Licenses, and Certifications
- Must be at least 18 years old
- A valid driver’s license, provide proof of a safe driving record, and maintain a safe driving record for continued employment
- Experience, education or additional training in recreation or leisure services
- Experience coordinating or supervising special events
Any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience, which would provide the required knowledge and skills, may be considered.
This position requires a moderate degree of physical stamina and strength, including the ability to:
- Frequently sit, stand and walk through a multi-level facility
- Occasionally squat, bend, kneel, twist, climb, balance and reach over head
- Occasionally lift, carry, push or pull items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds
- Frequently use hands and fingers for fine manipulation; occasionally use light and firm grasp
- Frequently see objects up close to perform office tasks and far away to observe activity for safety hazards or problems
- Constantly use hearing to interact with guests and staff and recognize trouble outside of view
- Occasionally use sufficient physical strength, stamina and agility to perform emergency work in various capacities
Work is constantly performed indoors and outdoors with exposure to extreme temperatures. Indoor and outdoor work is performed in a high public use, multilevel recreation facility where loud noise and multiple events and activities at one time may cause a distraction. Exposure to periods of high activity and stress under demanding conditions. The position requires a great deal of communication with City employees, the public, and outside agencies.
Required Materials and Equipment
Cash register, personal computers, keyboards, typewriters, calculators, telephones, PA systems, copy machines, and other standard office equipment, gym floor covers, hand tools, AED, recreational equipment, general fitness equipment, gloves, and pocket masks.
Candidates must be legally entitled to work in the United States and must successfully pass a criminal background check, reference check, and substance screen. There may be additional pre-employment requirements depending on the nature of the position.
We are a caring, courteous, team-oriented organization committed to public service excellence. Employees thrive in a culture that is respectful, professional and diverse. Our work culture encourages passionate, positive and enthusiastic employees. Westminster is a drug-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Closing Date/Time: 4/15/2019 8:30 AM Mountain