Egg Harbor Township, NJ
Seeking a multi-talented creative manager to help lead our Spirit and Spencer’s packaging efforts. Must have a proven track record creating visually pleasing and cohesive graphics for packaging and point-of-purchase with a firm understanding of retail and the creative process. This position will focus on packaging layout, translating existing licensed style guides as well as creating Spirit Halloween and Spencer’s branded style guides. Lead projects to cultivate and grow unique packaging lines across all categories against new item development and existing redesigns (hard/soft goods). This includes outlining, developing and validating ideas, directing packaging development, collaborating with Product Development, Product Managers, and Marketing teams. Person must be an experienced leader and visual designer who is equally savvy at photography, illustration and communications. A self-starter who takes initiative and possess the ability to build ideas with other designers and marketing professionals, while managing multiple projects simultaneously. The position will report to the DVP Marketing and Creative Services.
Primary Job Duties:
- Lead the development and implementation of new and improved packaging, ensuring defined needs for ergonomics, aesthetics, manufacturing capability and quality are met from ideation, through design and engineering.
- Lead and manage team in creating packaging solutions that could in some cases drive the look for in-store point-of-purchase, advertising, and other print/digital based consumer collateral needs.
- Build, refine, and manage comprehensive packaging specification across categories/brands.
- A Master of Graphic Design with the ability to translate ideas into creative visual presentation and design solutions.
- Ensure creative is in line with overall brand parameters and guidelines.
- Ability to articulate, critique and communicate design strategy and rationale to stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively and flexibly with all members of the Creative Team, Marketing, Product Development, and other departments to achieve project goals while working within brand guidelines.
- Establish supplier quality standards and support supplier reviews as needed.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and meet demanding objectives. Have a sense of urgency with critical deadlines, and the ability to quickly reprioritize accordingly.
- Develop streamlined processes that lead the creative team to victory.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions, research and other activities that support creative concept development in collaboration with others in the Creative and Marketing team.
- Collaborate with Packaging Engineer/Outside vendors to provide design and production insight into packaging solutions.
- Remain current on and identify packaging trends, innovations, and recommend emerging packaging technologies to improve overall product value, performance, and cost.
- Partner with Product Development, Marketing, Sourcing, and Product Managers to ensure project goals and timelines are met. Proactively reprioritize to assure critical deadlines are not missed.
- Guide the team in preparing art files for release to printers or developers.
- Responsible for accuracy and proofing of all packaging mechanicals, both hard copy and digital proofs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree (packaging, engineering, material science, or relevant degree).
- 10+ years of packaging engineering experience in retail industry (hard/soft goods) and demonstrated abilities in working cross-functionally and managing high volume of projects successfully.
- Experience in implementing packaging programs and protocols, understanding of PLM system is a plus.
- Firm knowledge of the printing process. Capable of taking design from concept to print.
- Fundamental knowledge of packaging substrates and package types. Including: clamshells, blister packs, polybags, corrugated primary cartons, folding cartons, header/insert cards, shippers and internal protective packaging.
- Proficiency in all applicable MAC software (Adobe Creative Suite, MS Office)
- Highly efficient, with the ability to prioritize multiple details and tasks and meet deadlines within specified time constraints.
- Demonstrated experience in managing a large number of projects within a cross functional environment.
- Process oriented with ability to lead & manage successful team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
You’ll love this job if you’re:
- Comfortable in a fast-paced, fluid environment. You think quickly on your feet!
- A strong communicator and collaborator. You work effectively with all members of the organization, from individual contributors to top executives.
- A packaging expert who loves the creative field. You love educating and informing others and you keep close tabs on current projects and industry trends.
- A talented leader. Your communication and management skills are unrivaled.